- 1 pound mild Italian sausage meat
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3 bell peppers, any color
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, and a few fresh if you have them
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh minced rosemary
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp oil
- Other seasoning to taste
- Put sausage, oil, garlic and onion in a large, deep skillet and cook, stirring often until sausage is cooked through.
- Meantime, chop up veggies into bite sized pieces.
- Add all ingredients to skillet except basil. I like to add peppers first for a few minutes, then eggplant, since these take a bit longer to cook. This prevents overcooking of the other veggies.
- Once veggies are cooked to desired consistency, add basil and remove from heat. Allow to sit covered for 5 minutes then serve.
This was delicious ladled over some lemon hummus, spinach and cooked quinoa. You could also layer over zucchini pasta, cauliflower rice or similar. Mushrooms and olives would also go nicely in this recipe if they’re on hand!