We’ve been using CBD oil now for about 4 months, and I can honestly say I wish we’d had access to this years ago! Because I’m so excited about the success we’re having, I put together this quick update for you – including testimonials from patients as well as a quick rundown of the dosage ranges for the conditions we’re seeing benefit most.
If you’re just tuning in, be sure to check out The ABCs of CBD – an earlier post introducing the basics of CBD oil.
Conditions and Dosage
Even though dosing is very specific to each person (not to the condition treated), we’re starting to get a feel for timing of the doses, and which products to use, depending on the goal of treatment.
Here are the conditions we’ve seen the most consistent benefit for, plus tips on when, what and how to dose:
Anxiety / Social Anxiety
- When to dose: Daytime dose as well as evening/bedtime dosing seems to work best.
- How and what to dose: We typically have patients start with the 3 mg spray and feel their way with how much and how often to dose (see more tips on timing of doses below). For severe anxiety or hyper-vigilance, some patients need to add in a gold product.
- When to dose: Most patients do best when dosing in the evening, starting around 4-5 pm.
- How and what to dose: 2-3 doses. We recommend starting with the 3 mg green product and adding a gold product if needed
- When to dose: If anxiety, depression, pain and/or insomnia are also present, use the dosing guidelines for those symptoms; otherwise, experiment.
- How and what to dose: Start with a 1-3 mg green product and aim for 2-3 doses per day
- When to dose: Start around 4-5 pm and aim for 2-3 doses, with the last one at bedtime. This will help with a transition from a faster-paced work day and get ahead of the “second wind” most insomnia patients experience leading up to bedtime.
- How and what to dose: Green products seem to work best for sleep. Most patients do best with the 3 mg spray, though some who require 6-8 sprays prefer the 10 mg capsule, 1-2 capsules 30 minutes before bed.
- When to dose: Twice daily (am/pm) for gold gels. Green product should be dosed based on any symptoms from above, or experiment if none are present.
- How and what to dose: For severe pain, such as rheumatoid arthritis, we typically start patients on a 15 mg gold gel cap 1-2 times daily, taken alongside the 1 mg green spray. Liquid gold products are also available, and these would be titrated up based on response. Gold balm can be quickly effective in most cases applied topically.
- When to dose: We recommend switching to American Spirit cigarettes to withdraw first from the added chemicals in conventional cigarettes, then advance to nicotine vape and step down the nicotine dose gradually as cravings become more manageable.
- How and what to dose: Liquid CBD designed for vaping works best. Start with a low dose and increase slowly; experiment with the ratio of CBD to nicotine based on your symptoms and cravings. Vaping CBD will also help with the other symptoms listed above and it works more quickly than other methods.
Additional Tips for Dosing
Everyone has to find their own best dose. Simply start low and go slow…advancing the dose every 1-3 days, while observing for improvement with your symptoms. As a general rule, I recommend starting with 1-2 sprays 1-2 times daily.
If you tend to be a very sensitive person, you should start w/the lowest dose you feel comfortable with, and advance as slowly as you need to until you feel significantly better (with whatever symptoms you’re targeting).
Some people report feeling agitated if they dose too high, while others report feeling very sleepy. Your response will help you determine what time of day is best to dose yourself, and what dose will work best. The best dose will feel noticeably calming, and if taken near bedtime, will make you feel sleepy.
Because the green products contain the whole plant, while the gold products only contain a few of the plant components, we encourage the use of at least the 1 mg green product alongside any gold product for synergistic effect. Whenever you isolate out components of a plant, you leave behind other compounds that can amplify the action.
When taking CBD orally, be sure to hold it in your mouth for 30 seconds before swallowing.
Peppermint and unflavored options are available. Some people find peppermint to be stimulating (though I love the peppermint in evening for insomnia), and do better with the unflavored for anxiety or insomnia. The unflavored oil tastes earthy and sweet.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the type and/or dose of product for your specific situation and goals. Consults are $25 for 15 minutes.
Check out what these patients had to say about their experience with CBD oil.
“I have rheumatoid arthritis and was prescribed 3 oral medications and Humira injections, the combination of which helped about 80%. My rheumatologist wanted to add another medication, but I decided to seek help from Patty Shipley at Leaves of Life. She suggested I do a detox and eat a gluten free diet along with specific supplements (for deficiencies discovered with testing), and CBD. It seemed far fetched to me, but I can honestly say that after just one week of this combined approach, I was completely pain free and am now weaning off my medications.”
– Brenda F., Leaves of Life patient
“I knew I needed to give up sugar but I ‘d been dreading it. It just seemed too big a hurdle. When I started taking CBD oil, my initial reason was for helping with sleep (which it did) but the big bonus came after I had only been taking CBD for about a week and I gave up sugar like it was no big deal. Patty says it helped to balance my brain so that I could get past the sugar addiction. Even though I only take a “hummingbird dose” (1mg per day), that was apparently all I needed.”
– Karen Riggs, Office Manager at Leaves of Life
“4 years ago I injured my back and ended up on pain pills that I became addicted to. After taking suboxone to get off the pain pills, I then had to get off the suboxone, which helps you emotionally, so stopping it can be difficult. Prior to starting CBD, I changed my diet and was taking supportive nutrients to balance my brain, which had helped me come off multiple addictions: junk food, cigarettes (switched to vape), caffeine, sugar and gluten. I started using CBD oil for pain, but I tried the capsules, the gel caps, the liquid, and even the balm without success. Then Patty had me try the CBD vape oil, and minutes after vaping it the first time, I could feel pain relief. It took some experimenting to figure out the best dose for me which is a little bit in the morning, afternoon and evening. Too much definitely makes me sleepy. After about 2 weeks, I noticed feeling more emotionally balanced, and that i needed less nicotine. I’m now working my way down on the amount of nicotine I vape and how often. CBD has literally been life-changing for me!”
– Levi H., Leaves of Life patient
“I’m a 43-year-old mother of 2, and have been dealing with chronic joint and body pain for several years. I would often get shooting pains up my leg, and my feet and elbow joints were sometimes unbearably painful. The pain interfered with sleep and definitely affected my quality of life. When Patty recommended CBD, I was concerned it would get me high, but after doing some research I decided to try it. I am now pain-free for the first time in years and sleeping through the night!”
– Audrey D., Leaves of Life Patient
Want to read more posts about CBD? Click here.
Patty Shipley, Naturopath, RN, Herbalist