- 2 large green tomatoes, sliced, breaded and fried (coconut or chickpea flour work well)
- Assorted colors of cherry and grape tomatoes, chopped into 2-4 pieces
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Fresh oregano, chopped
- Crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vinaigrette or balsamic dressing (adding some sun dried tomatoes kicks the dressing up a notch if you have them)
An FYI before you begin – This salad is best served while the fried green tomatoes are still warm, and you can put the green tomatoes on the bottom or on top.
- I start with a bottom layer of bite-sized chopped fried green tomatoes, then add chopped cherry and grape tomatoes—the more colors you can find to pull this together, the prettier it is. It’s also nice to vary how they are cut—some in half, some in fourths, some tiny slices, some lengthwise and some crosswise.
- You can also add some other chopped fresh tomatoes, but using all or mostly cherry and grape tomatoes keeps it sweet. (Another variation to this is to lightly toast/warm the fresh tomatoes before assembling.)
- Next add crumbled cheese, basil and oregano, a few dashes of salt and pepper, and dressing of choice.